Sunday, January 29, 2012

7 mile hike!

On Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 I agreed (for the second Saturday in a row) to go hiking once again with Scotty. This time he assured me that it would be a SHORT hike...no more than 5 miles...which is totally my kind of hike.
IMG_0811

Kapalama Loop is located behind Kamehameha Schools main campus in Kalihi and it is NOT 5 miles! By the time we finished the hike the LOOP part ended up being 6.52 miles with a little over a half mile added with the elevation changes.
Surprisingly, this hike was my most favorite that I've been on so far, which is funny because I prefer the Waterfall hikes the most cuz they are usually cooler and have a neat destination at the end.

This one was interesting. Plus Scotty made me a yummy breakfast sandwich AND brought a Lunch so I was much happier and had lots more energy.

IMG_0720

We seemed to have navigated between almost every terrain that Hawaii has to offer....

"Regular" forrest that is more like what I'm used to in the mainland.
IMG_0649

"Jungle" or "Rain Forrest" - my favorite.... even though I don't like all the bugs and how humid it can be. Plus the idea of all the "animals" living in the underbrush. At least there are no snakes!

IMG_0651

I love how lush and green everything with vines everywhere. So different from anywhere else I've ever lived.

IMG_0652
IMG_0658


The there is the "DRY" Hawaiian desert-y forrest....

IMG_0795

All the dead pine needles blanket the forrest floor and it's a little tricky to walk on as they can be super slippery. It really reminded me of playing in the woods at my Grandma's house.

IMG_0707

There was the ridge- where you got to see the beautiful views....

IMG_0691

There even was a little rock climbing involved too...

IMG_0777

At the top as we began our descent, the trail was perfectly "paved" with grass..which was nice on the footsies....

IMG_0757

We even got to see some of the beautiful plants and flowers  that ONLY Hawaii has to offer...

IMG_0754
IMG_0803

All in all it was a great workout!

IMG_0662

1 comment: