Saturday, March 10, 2012

Great Aloha Run 2012

It's become sort of a tradition for me to walk the Great Aloha Run and this year was my 5th year in a row completing the walk.

Since I've been doing the Thrive Across Hawaii challenge at work where I've committed to my team to exercise at least 1 hour a day, the walk was a piece of cake. Since I've done it for so many years, it's nice to know what to expect and I am so glad for moleskin that I use on my feet as I have a tendency to develop blisters pretty easy.

We got up at 4:30am and headed over to Aloha Stadium to park the car and take the bus back to the start line downtown.

 I couldn't believe the long line to get on the bus! It wrapped half way around the stadium. We ended up getting on the bus around 6:30am and had to rush from where the bus dropped us off on Vineyard Blvd to Ala Moana Blvd and got there just as the run was starting.

 It was my friend Shelly's first time doing the run and the poor thing had to wait all by herself in the crowd of people before I got there. It can be kinda scary but also fun!

IMG_2094

IMG_2104

This year Scotty went off on his own pace and I walked with my friend Shelly and my co-worker Janeen.

Scotty took most of the pictures since I didn't want to carry anything extra, so my pictures were from my phone. The weather was nice and there was a constant breeze blowing which was awesome. I especially liked all the entertainment at the various mile markers. My favorite has gotta be the Taiko Drummers. They are so fun to see and hear!



Next year I am NOT gonna bring a back pack. They have water stations throughout but I always freak out and end up bringing more stuff than I need. I've noticed though that a small granola bar or banana about half way through really helps amp up my energy.

Above all: my MOST Favorite part is when you see the finish line!


Once again, next year I'd like to possibly run part of the route. Guess I gotta a year to train!

No comments:

Post a Comment